WetaForum Home Forums Repairs and Maintenance AMA arms move in sockets

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Paul White Paul White 1 year, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Martin Langhoff
    Participant

Our barely sailed 2011 Weta is kept rigged up. Following advise from this forum, I’ve wrapped the AMA arm ends with cloth-backed tape (gaffer tape).

In recent sails I’ve observed that the forward arms move quite a bit in the socket. This makes me think that perhaps I put too much tape or the tape got a kink or some other issue interferes with proper seating in the socket.

Is it normal that the arms would jiggle visibly in the sockets? What degree of jiggle would you consider normal?

Tramps and rig are super tight…

Paul White
      Paul White
      Keymaster

Hi Martin

I had taped up the ends of the arms and where they exit the holes of my Weta (#1148) but I had to remove it because the hot sun (in an Australian summer) was causing the glue to spread and make it really hard to get the arms in or out of the holes in the hull. There are tapes available which are heat resistant so I may look at them next or try silicon tape.

I’ve never noticed my amas “jiggling” in the sockets. I do tend to tighten the tramp ties up after launching because I find that they always loosen once the boat is in the water. I also replaced the tramp cleats on my old boat (#325) because the rope was slipping in the cleats.

Do you have a 2:1 on the tramp ties to increase the tension? I have one on the front and the rear and I have lengthened the rope for each tramp by 2m so that it can remain tied on to the front block on the deck (to save rigging time). The rope is tied to the block with a bowline then through the tramp hole and back around the block then threaded through the tramp edge to the rear. To detach the tramp I just undo the line at the rear and then loosed the line so It enables me to place the ama arms over the boat.

Martin Langhoff
        Participant

Ok so I have only wrapped the end of the AMA arms. I’ll revisit in a few days.

My block & cleat setup is standard. Might change it later, but seems ok so far. Does not seem to be the root cause of this issue.

Paul White
          Paul White
          Keymaster

You might try using chafetape or patches which are designed to prevent wear. You could always put some regular tape underneath if you need more bulk.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.