Home Forums Repairs and Maintenance Rudder lockdown rod – is there anything better?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Paul White Paul White 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Martin Langhoff
    Participant

Our Weta rudder lockdown rod came “pre-bent”, probably due to a grounding during beach or sandbar landing.

In our hands, it got a few more hits. Yesterday with one more hit the screw that fastens it to the rudder broke, and the part went splash into the water, never to be found again.

We’re getting a new one, naturally. Still, I wonder… is there a better option/mod, anything “kick-up”?

Paul White
      Paul White
      Keymaster

Yes, try the bungee auto-kick up solution here.

Simple, cheap, no damage to the rudder on impact.

Rudder bungee auto kickup system

Martin Langhoff
        Participant

Thank you! Applied it, with slightly thinner (4mm?) bungee, and several wraps around.

You have have the bungee tied up tight, and to push it down a bit to achieve good “lock” in strong weather conditions…

Paul White
          Paul White
          Keymaster

Yes, I’ve had it start to lift going downwind in over 25knots which is a bit scary – hence I use 10mm shock cord.

But you can always add another loop or wind up the tension like a rubber band on a toy aeroplane.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by Paul White Paul White.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.