Home Forums Mods and Improvements Store a Weta rigged/mast up without ama arm/socket wear

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Martin Langhoff 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Martin Langhoff
    Participant

Hi Weta people!

Recently got a Weta with some friends, sail some other craft as well. Subject says it all; we’d like to keep the Weta rigged up as much as possible, so as to minimize setup time.

That would mean, ideally, mast up.

Across the internet, people write about wear on the AMAs, AMA arms, and specifically the sockets they sit in, as the mast wags in the wind and the AMA arm grinds in the socket.

Any effective ways to prevent or minimize? Provide some support to the AMAs? Or to the mast? We plan to tie down (boat / amas / shrowds) to heavy sandbags on the ground…

Paul White
      Paul White
      Keymaster

I’d just wrap some cloth-backed tape around the ends of the ama arms and then some more where the arms exit the sockets – many owners have done this to reduce movement in waves but it also helps to protect wear on the arms and tape is cheap!

I’d also consider getting a cover for the rigged boat as well as a sock for the mast since it’s not advisable to leave carbon exposed to UV for long periods.

Cover options here http://wetaforum.com/forums/topic/weta-boat-covers/

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by Paul White Paul White.

Martin Langhoff
          Participant

Hi Paul!

great job keeping this forum active! Thanks for that idea, I have spinnaker repair tape and mylar tape, I’ll experiment with those.

WRT covers, yes, that’s on my list. For the mast, I’ll probably put some clear-coat; there’s a particular clear-coat that locals working on carbon use and recommend and is apparently the bees knees. We’re in Miami, so UV is serious business.

Paul White
            Paul White
            Keymaster

I wouldn’t use spinnaker tape – it’s very thin and tends to fray at the edges.

Just go to your local hardware store and look for cloth backed duct tape.

Martin Langhoff
            Participant

Thank you for the great advise. Ordered cover, put tape on AMA arms, and our Weta is getting wet and happy often.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.