• Creator
    Topic
    WETA NSW
    Participant
    Up
    Down
    ::

Hello everybody hope your all well,

Ok  so Peter , Paul, and the 2 Geoff’s have been doing training and racing in Pittwater  so they will be the boys to beat at the  1st  ACT STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS  in  OCT   18/19th   2014 ..

I have spoken to the YMCA Sailing club in Canberra who run the ACT MULTI HULL  CHAMPS and they are willing to run a WETA division our own start and races in this event !!! if we can get a minimum of 6 Boats  to the event .

If you win you will be the ACT  WETA STATE CHAMP in the multihull regatta !

I have been informed there is a great chance of wind , mostly westerly and good strength as is common this time of year in Canberra, courses may include , winward/leeward, trapaziodal, figure 8 ,  olympic, and distance .

As the  NOR  and more details become available i will get them posted or you can look on the ACT YMCA SAILING web page , you must have boat insurance and YA membership to compete in this event .

There is full canteen shower toilets bbq’s etc at the club .

This event is 2 weeks after the JB REGATTA which you could use to fine tune yourself and your WETA  to battle for the SILVERWEAR in Canberra, You don’t have to be from the ACT to be the winner anybody can win

SO WHO WILL BE WETA’s 1st EVER ACT CHAMPION ???? 

If you are interested please email me or say so on here as id really like to give the ACT club a heads up on our intentions so they can intergrate us with plenty of Notice ,

Also NZ National titles are on November 22/23rd Miranda said if anyone want’s to compete let her know and she will organise a boat for you in NZ .

Hope to see this page fill with Attendees to Canberra 

Glenn

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Oops!  Sorry about that, you look like your brother!  Perhaps I should put you down as second-favourite then.  Anyway, well done to both of you.  As the Weta circuit grows hopefully we can come up with something more appropriate as far as a prize goes for the ACT Championship and perhaps put together some sort of ACT/NSW traveller’s series.   Depends what the membership want.  Next year we hope to offer competitors and families a Weta Regatta evening of some description – at the cheap end a BBQ through to a dinner at a restaurant/club.  We had plans for a BBQ at CYC but we heard that the YMCA was putting something on so we thought we should attend that.  When we got there, there was only one sausage left!

Nice conditions for taking the kids out for a spin.  Glad to hear they enjoyed their ride and the weekend in Canberra.  The smaller race track, lighter winds (than JB) and short courses kept the fleet in close proximity.  I think everyone enjoyed their weekend and looking forward to the next event.

WETA NSW
        Participant
        Up
        Down

Hi guys thanks for the write up on here from what ive heard it was a great w/end im sorry i missed it .
        I have some prizes i will be posting out to our winners From Weta and Ronstan

as in the pics attached the big red bag , shirt cap etc is for Alistair 1st place
        the 2 nd pic black bag , gloves , t shirt cap for peter Graham
        and the 3 rd one is for Rohan bag cap and a shirt

Next year i will make sure we have a sponsor and trophies / prizes for State titles
        Again thanks one and all for your attending the ACT Titles i know its a long haul for most of you , but what an effort biggest division 1st year in the event , i hope we can near dbl the number next year
        Cheers
        Glenn

Up
      Down

What a great weekend of racing and congratulations to Alistair who blitzed the field.
      10 Weta’s the biggest fleet at the championships, with some very close racing.
      And a big thankyou to Rohan and his family for inviting us over for a BBQ on Saturday night.
      To all those who competed and the YMCA of Canberra Sailing Club a big thankyou for a fantastic regatta, cheers Pete Triwetasaurus 925

alistairking
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hi Leigh

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I should just make a correction and comment.

It was my brother, Will King, who won in Jervis Bay, not me. He borrowed Dad (David King)’s boat for J.Bay. I had a mixed feeling of pride and annoyance as I saw my brother sail away from me in 2 of the 3 races in J.Bay on his first proper outing on a Weta. In Canberra he was, in fact, sailing his Hobie 16 with his mate, Chris Wild.

I really quite enjoyed the weekend in Canberra, I realise the weather wasn’t to everyone’s liking, but I was able to do one race with each of my older kids (age 6 and 8). They would not have survived the ordeal of J.Bay!! They also were able to do a race with their Grand-dad, so that was fun and we could drop them off to the shore crew when they had had enough. They both really enjoyed it and I want to try to encourage them a bit more as they get older.

I really enjoyed the close quarters of the fleet racing in Canberra too – we seemed a lot more spread out in J.Bay, although with stronger winds that is to be expected, I guess.

Thanks to the organisers and volunteers, too. Without them, these events couldn’t happen.

Alistair

wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down

The inaugural ACT Weta Championship was held in conjunction with the YMCA Sailing Club ACT Multihull Championship conducted on the 18-19 October 2014.  An excellent turnout for the Weta fleet with ten boats greeting the starter.  Six boats from interstate joined the local fleet of four boats.   At the scheduled start of race one conditions were perfect for anything but sailing!  After a frustrating three and a half hour wait many competitors had retired to the beach and were packing up.  The PRO sniffed a breeze and announced a start in the next hour.   Much to everyone’s relief the race team were able to get two races completed.  Far better conditions on Sunday with a further three races completed.

The early favourite, following a sterling win at the Jervis Bay regatta, was Alistair King (709) .  Thought to be an early scratching in favour of the Hobie 16 division, he could not resist the quality Weta field that had assembled and joined the fleet.  Unlike Jervis Bay, this time he teamed up with Emma King.

And the pre-race favourite did not let the punters down winning the championship with two bullets and three second placings.  Peter Graham (845) claimed second place and Rohan Armstrong (963) was the best of the local sailors.  Very pleasing to see  Peter Duross (925) join the fleet for his first sail as a skipper.  Although having extensive big boat experience this is his first campaign as an owner/skipper.  After moving to Canberra from Darwin, Antony Moor (762) had his first taste of Weta fleet sailing.

wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down

SCHEDULE
      4.1 Registration:
      Saturday 18 October 2014 From 0800 hrs To 0930 hrs
      4.2 Dates of racing Time of first warning signal: No. of races
      Saturday 18 October 2014 Not before 1200 hrs up to 3 races
      Sunday 19 October 2014 Not before 1025 hrs up to 3 races
      No first warning signal will be made after 1400 hours on Sunday 19 October 2014

Paul White
      Keymaster
      • City: Sydney
      • Weta Sail Number: 1300
      Up
      Down

Registration for the event here – closes on 17th October

WETA NSW
      Participant
      Up
      Down

thanks Leigh handy info to have

Glenn

wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Map of the West Basin of Lake Burley Griffen

The Red Circle is the approximate location of the ACT YMCA SC – the hosts of the event.  The Blue Circle is the Canberra Yacht Club.  The local boats will be launching from this area.  Feel free to join us there.

The Black Circle is Black Mountain.  The prevailing wind is from the north-west.  So from CYC almost directly from Black Mountain.  The wind generally curves to a more westerly direction by the time it reaches the eastern end/CYC.

LBG

WETA NSW
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Hi Alistair great to hear i’ll be staying at the Alivio tourist park in a cabin again its only 4k from the sailing club So as it satand so we have

Alistair king   NSW

David king  NSW

Weta NSW  (Glenn Marney)

Weta VIC   ( Col Breanahan )

Leigh Nielson ACT

Rohan Armstrong  ACT

Andy Wiesman  ACT

I hope the usual suspects come to race  aswell ( Pete the 2 X  Geoffs , Paul , Dennis and wife you guys know who you are be great if you could let us know if your interested so we can pass onto ACT and help prepare

Cheers Glenn

alistairking
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I have booked non-refundable accommodation for me and David King. We’re in! Looking forward to it

wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Generally, Spring is the best sailing in Canberra, hence why most of the local Championships are conducted early in the sailing season.

With the local fleet now standing at 4 boats we are looking forward to some good racing in the 14/15 season.   So if you want to have a punt at being the inaugural ACT Weta Champ, better get yourself here to experience the joys of sailing at Lake Burley-Griffin!

With a little good fortune with the weather, this should be a great event!

WETA NSW
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Cool Alistair i know some good accomadation family friendly and not $$$$ threw the roof , i think this will be a great regatta to be in.

I am putting in for leave now so i can be sure to have the time off to attend .

I haven’t raced seriously for many many years  but id Love to have a STATE TITLE under my belt and be good for a dealer to have some street cred lol

Glenn

alistairking
      Participant
      Up
      Down

I’m keen Glenn. I will make sure my Dad knows as well!

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.