Home Forums General Weta Stuff Raising the mast made easy – no hinged mast step required

• Creator
    Topic
    Paul White
    Keymaster

If you have difficulty raising the mast then try this method from a Japanese Weta sailor
    No hinged mast step required!
    Start at the beginning to see the whole rigging process.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Paul White
      Keymaster
      • City: Sydney
      • Weta Sail Number: 1300
      Up
      Down
      ::

Unfortunately the hinged mast base is out of production due to problems with quality.

You could try anchoring or tying up to the dock and then lowering the sails and drop the mast using an extra long forestay lashing fed back to the cockpit, and lowering the sails. Then reverse the process the other side of the bridge.

These links may help

Tow Loop, Anchor and Drogue for dropping mainsail on the water

Raising the mast made easy – no hinged mast step required

Lifting the Weta mast easily

Docks and cranes

Hope this helps

Paul

Mikko Laakso
      Participant
      • City: Helsinki
      Up
      Down
      ::

Greetings from Finland! I just bought a used Weta and haven’t sailed it at all yet. My other previous sailing experience is also from decades ago.

The boat is now in my garage and waiting for spring. In winter, there would be time to do all kinds of renovations. The inspection hatches of the both amas require attention at least, as does the mast track. Anyways, a hinged mast base caught my eye and I was left wondering if it could be useful to me.

Our summer cottage is located by the lake. There is a bridge dividing the lake nearby, with a free underpass height of about 3 meters. If I could drop the mast, paddle under the bridge, and raise it again while in the water, my sailing area would be multiplied.

There are lightweight docks on both sides of the bridge, which I can use freely, but no sandy beach or anything else where I could land.

What do you think, would a hinged mast base be good for this purpose, or is it mostly only useful for storing the boat? It might also be a big task to find a seller who could deliver one here.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.