Home Forums Mods and Improvements Trailer mod for long ramp?

• Creator
    Topic
    jezzalota
    Participant

My favourite place to sail is a freshwater dam with a very long and steep ramp (when the levels are low).

Has anyone modded the trolley so that they can drive the boat to the water? I dont think I can pull the boat and trolley up the ramp manually. We dont have any shore access for the trolleys.

Jezza

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      markoch
      Participant
      • City: Port Townsend
      • Weta Sail Number: 585
      Up
      Down
      ::

Yes I put a piece of aluminum on the trolley frame and a trailer hitch.  I use the car to launch and retrieve the Weta.  My drive to the ramps is a quarter mile.  Top speed is about 10mph with the trolley.

The piece of aluminum that I had lying around is an awning strut.  It telescopes so I can put the trolley in deep without getting the car wet if the tide is way out.

Paul White
      Keymaster
      • City: Sydney
      • Weta Sail Number: 1300
      Up
      Down
      ::

I’m not aware of anyone hitching it to the car but I have seen a rotating front wheel added between the v of the trolley frame which would allow you to haul it or winch it up.

An alternative (if you have something to tie a pulley to) is to run a rope from the trolley up the slope to the pulley and around it. Then use your weight to pull the boat up.

Hope this helps

Paul

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.