Home Forums General Weta Stuff Weta Twin Tiller Extensions

• Creator
    Topic
    Tom Kirkman
    Participant

Having heard a lot of talk about cooking up a twin tiller system for the Weta, but not having actually seen anyone do it, I took 15 minutes this afternoon and knocked one out. I can come up with a more sophisticated center attachment if this works (speed locks on each side would work) although I suspect this simple arrangement is more than adequate. Before the guys start talking at how small diameter the carbon tubing is – it won’t break. It’s a much higher modulus product than what comes stock on the boat. I’ll probably run the operator end of the tillers out through some loops on the back of the rear aka tramps so they’ll stay in place when I’m on the opposite side of the boat. Probably get a chance to try it this weekend. We’ll see what happens. (I’m sure this isn’t class legal – just something to mess around with.)

• This topic was modified 10 years, 4 months ago by Tom Kirkman.
    • This topic was modified 4 years ago by Paul White.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Paul White
      Keymaster
      • City: Sydney
      • Weta Sail Number: 1300
      Up
      Down
      ::

Weta Marine have now produced a Twin Tiller Extension Kit

The benefit of this kit is that it doesn’t require additional hardware stuck on the boat for the tiller rest to prevent the lazy tiller extension from dragging in the water – the bungee cord holds the tiller on the tramp when not in use and the steel ring slides down the pole when you use it so you have full articulation. It also helps to centre the tiller during the tack.

The twin tiller extension kit includes:

• 1 x two piece tiller extension with universal joint (two piece makes shipping by mail possible now!)

• 2 x stainless steel rings

• 2m 3mm bungy

• 1 x Round tiller adapter

• 2 x 50mmx4mm bolts and nuts

• 4 x round stoppers

• New tiller end plug

Available now through your local dealer.

TWIN TILLER OVERVIEW

TWO TILLER EXTENSION BASES BOLTED TOGETHER WITH TWO 50MM X 4MM BOLTS

END OF BUNGY TIED TO GENNAKER RATCHET BLOCK. BUNGY GOES UNDER TRAMP

3MM BUNGY TIED TO STAINLESS RING USING PLASTIC BALL ON END OF BUNGY

HIGH QUALITY CARBON TWO PIECE TILLER EXTENSION

A SIMPLE DAB OF EPOXY GLUE ON SPIG TO MAKE A PRECISION JOIN

Paul White
      Keymaster
      • City: Sydney
      • Weta Sail Number: 1300
      Up
      Down

The problem with bolting it through top and bottom is that the bottom bolt and tiller extension may contact the cockpit sides if you have to put the tiller hard over – or more likely the bulge from the ama arm sockets.

If you attach two tiller extension saddles either side of the tiller and, instead of screwing them in place, use bolts right through the tiller, they can’t hit the deck or cockpit.

You can unbolt the original single tiller attachment fitting from the top of the tiller using a small spanner to hold the nuts inside the tiller while you unscrew the bolt.

Tiller drag prevention
      Once you’ve installed your twin tiller system you then have to decide what you do with the loose tiller – you can leave it to drag in the water skiff style – but it may get in the way. Alternatives are:

1. Use a ring
        Before you add the rubber end fitting to the tiller extension, thread a plastic ring down the tube.
        Then use some thin bungee to attach this to the hiking strap to keep it from falling off the edge of the tramp but allow it to swing forward if you go forward.
      2. Use a rest made from conduit tube
        Tie some conduit tube under the tramp from the forward arm so that it extends at least 20cm from under the stern  ama arm. Ensure the tube is tied so it’s can’t swivel round.
        Add an upright piece of conduit tube to the existing tube at the stern to create the tiller extension rest.
        When you tack you can let go of the old tiller extension and either place it in the rest or let it fall onto the rest which will keep it from dragging in the water.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by Paul White.
      • This reply was modified 4 years ago by Paul White.
      wetaz904
      Participant
      Up
      Down

Looks like a nice job Tom.  Good luck with it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.